Custom Naming Overview
Generate custom hostnames
Server naming standards are a fact of life for most organizations. Hostnames are the most basic label that apply to all servers, and this identifier has operational value well beyond name resolution. Hostnames help multiple IT and application teams quickly identify and categorize any given server, revealing its function, role, operating system, environment, location or other attributes.
SovLabs Custom Naming module for vRealize Automation enables administrators to easily manage multiple naming standards through data-driven profiles, allowing IT to keep up with changing architectural and application standards or changes to the business such as department/budget re-alignment, acquisitions or mergers. Easily create independent data-driven naming sequences and standards so that servers provisioned through vRealize Automation will adhere to specific naming conventions.
|VMware vRealize Automation (vRA)||7.x|
|VMware vRealize Orchestrator (vRO)||7.x|
|EMC Enterprise Hybrid Cloud (EHC)||4.x|
- Take control of your hostnames and drive standardization throughout your environment.
- Create flexible naming standards that include one or more sequences
- Naming standards consist of a mix of static text and dynamic content such as vRA custom properties and/or custom logic
- Validates against DNS and vRA database to determine hostname availability
- Includes advanced selective locking, preventing duplication of hostnames with parallel provisioning without sacrificing performance
- Allows for creation of multiple types of sequences such as decimal, hex, octal, binary, or custom pattern
- Dynamic sequences are possible using the pattern type, which can utilize vRA properties (utilizing the SovLabs Template Engine) in combination with custom logic and one or many sequence types
- SovLabs Template Engine allows for static text in combination with dynamic content such as vRA custom properties and/or custom logic
- Includes option to allow for reuse of sequence values, e.g. for gaps left when machines have been de-provisioned
- Includes options for sequence length, padding character, initial value
- Sequences can be updated at any time, for scenarios like increasing sequence length or setting a new initial value (e.g. set next sequence value at 500 instead of 030)
- Supports creation of multiple naming sequences and standards as needed
Quick Start Process
- Define Naming Sequence(s)
- Define Naming Standard
- Apply Naming vRA Property Group to existing blueprint(s)
Go to Custom Naming Setup